Home / Commercial / Commercial Property

Commercial Property

New York City saw a 169% spike in commercial burglaries in April 2020

Ensure your clients who own commercial properties are not exposed to significant out-of-pocket costs in the event of a claim. Commercial Property Coverage is designed to limit exposure to property damage, loss of income, stolen contents and other losses.

Burns & Wilcox can provide coverage for virtually any tenant occupied building including stores, apartments, buildings and warehouses.

Builders Risk

The risk of property damage on a construction site is a significant concern for project owners, building owners, developers, contractors and subcontractors. This damage can result in severe, unexpected costs which can delay the building process or halt it entirely. Builder’s Risk Insurance (often referred to as Course of Construction, Construction All Risk, and Contractor’s All Risk Insurance) provides a specialized form of insurance designed to insure buildings or projects against repair or replacement costs while they are under construction and, in some cases, for a specified period afterwards.

Difference in Conditions (DIC)

Sometimes an all-risk policy can exclude certain perils that your client may need covered. For example, floods are typically not listed exposures in a homeowner policy. However, if your client lives in a flood zone, their assets encounter different conditions and require supplemental coverage. Having the right coverage complement your clients existing policy can help limit the financial strains related to these conditions.

Burns & Wilcox offers Difference in Conditions (DIC) Coverage as an extension to an all-risk policy which adds perils that are typically excluded. As each DIC policy is unique, it is important that you work with professionals who understand how to obtain policies that properly supplement your clients’ existing coverage. We can arrange for the customized insurance policies for each of your clients’ unique needs. Coupled with our extremely fast submission response time and low minimum premiums, Burns & Wilcox is one of the leading providers for excess and specialty insurance.


When an earthquake hits, most people understand that damage to their property is a possibility. However, many business owners don’t consider the full risks of an earthquake hitting one of their properties. Non building structures, such as statues, outdoor water slides, amusement park ride and more can also be severely damaged resulting in costly repairs and business interruption. Earthquake Coverage through Burns & Wilcox can protect your clients’ sites after an earthquake hits, including landslide coverage and difference in conditions.

Equipment Breakdown

Equipment used as part of today’s business operations often relies on delicate electronic components that can break down easily and be costly to repair or replace. While property insurance covers damages to equipment resulting from external causes, like fires and earthquakes, a different type of insurance is needed to cover expensive equipment breakdowns as a result of internal causes such as mechanical failure, electrical short circuiting, or motor burnout. Having an insurance policy that covers against these types of damages helps protect a business’ finances and allows them to continue to serve their clients.


The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) provides a base level of coverage that will cover your client’s business in the event of a flood. However, many businesses face significant repair and rebuilding costs which exceed the limits offered by the NFIP. In order to safeguard your clients against the financial harm of flooding, they need excess coverage that will help them recoup more of their losses when disaster strikes. Burns & Wilcox, a leader in excess and surplus insurance, can provide access to expanded flood insurance tailored to your clients’ needs.


Apartment buildings are more than just a place for people to live – to their owners they are an investment and a source of income. From apartment fires to visitor injuries, owners can be held liable for costly repairs or medical bills. Having the right insurance policy in place will help protect against the financial strain brought on by unanticipated loss or liability.


Inland Marine

The commercial transportation or shipment of cargo can be a daunting task for operators. Regardless of the type of equipment or products you are moving, unforeseen perils can cause physical damage to the cargo. As a result, operators are exposed to a multitude of legal liabilities and can be left holding the bag for damages that occur while in transit.

Inland Marine Coverage provides protection from the financial losses associated with property being shipped.



Primary and Excess Property

It is important for your clients to routinely review and evaluate their current commercial property insurance policies against the real value of their asset. If their property is valued at more than what their policy states, then they should consider purchasing excess property coverage. By increasing their policy’s limits, your clients are assuring that their property is properly covered from financial risks.

As a leading supplier of excess and surplus insurance, Burns & Wilcox can arrange for Excess Property Coverage. With fast quotes, competitive rates, excellent client service, and unparalleled access to markets, Burns & Wilcox has the breadth of products and experience you need to provide your clients with excess coverage.



Stock Throughput

How confident are you in your Stock Throughput insurance? Many basic coverages do not offer the specialized protection you need to cover your assets.

Vacant Property

Vacant Property

Thieves recently stole $500,000 of copper from a vacant building, with resulting building damage estimates exceeding $3 million. Vacant properties are increasingly vulnerable to copper theft as the metal’s value has skyrocketed. Subsequent property damage can often far exceed the value of the stolen copper.

In addition to theft, vandalism and water damage also pose risks to unoccupied buildings. Pipes bursting or water intrusion from storms often results in costly damage due to the infrequent monitoring of vacant buildings.

Vacant Property Coverage is designed to protect against financial losses relating to your clients’ valuable property investments during periods of short-term or long-term vacancy. Speak to your clients about the occupancy status of their investment properties in hopes of saving them from claim denial and out-of-pocket costs in the event of a loss.


Wind/Excess Wind

Windstorms cause around $1 billion in damages in the United States annually. If wind gusts exceed 35 miles per hour, they are considered to be a windstorm and damages resulting from the storm require a separate type of coverage. Wind insurance protects your commercial property from damage caused by wind that is strong enough to cause significant damage to property.

Burns & Wilcox can provide your clients with access to Wind/Excess Wind insurance. As a leading provider of excess and specialty insurance, Burns & Wilcox can provide intelligent insurance solutions to cover your clients should their property be damaged by excessive wind.


Target Classes

(including but not limited to)

  • Hotels and motels
  • Apartments
  • Condominiums
  • Vacant buildings
  • Office buildings
  • Leased buildings
  • Bars and taverns
  • Shopping centers
  • Restaurants and delis
  • Condos
  • Houses of Worship
  • Medical offices
  • Manufacturing
  • Retail Operations
  • Strip malls
  • Warehouses

At Burns & Wilcox our expertise becomes your expertise. Our marketing materials are designed to help you give your clients what they want to hear – yes to almost any hard-to-place-risk.


Cannabis grow facility


Coastal apartment complex


Lessors risk


Dwelling schedule of 47 units


Vacant office building


Meat Market


Health Club/Gym


Furniture Distributor


Molding/Plastic Manufacturer


Apartment Building


LRO with Apartments


PC9 Restaurant with 50% Alcohol

Applications for this product may vary. Please click below to find the office nearest to you for assistance.

Office Locations